Innovating Power Monitoring in the Tobacco Industry with ABB and Ignition SCADA
In an era where data-driven decisions shape the outcomes of businesses, our client, a leader in the brewing industry, found themselves with a challenge many face – making plant floor data readily available across the organization. As they sought a solution, DSI partnered with them to bridge the gap between isolated systems and universally accessible data analytics. This case study delineates how DSI turned this aspiration into reality.
The main objective was to upgrade the client’s medium voltage distribution centers by integrating ABB REF615 power monitoring and control devices. This task involved several key challenges:
- Real-time Monitoring and Alerting:Ensuring continuous observation and alerting on the operational conditions of electrical equipment.
- Scalability and Future Expansion: Creating a system that could easily integrate additional power monitors in the future.
- Efficient Data Management and Analysis: Developing a data management strategy for historical data from power monitors.
- Quick Response to Alarms: Enhancing system reliability by ensuring swift responses to operational deviations and emergencies.
Integration of ABB REF615 Devices:
- Incorporated ABB REF615 devices to monitor critical parameters like phase-to-phase voltage, current, and total power consumption.
- Established a continuous communication link using the Modbus TCP protocol.
Deployment of Ignition SCADA Software:
- Utilized Ignition software for its advanced templating and parameterization capabilities.
- Designed a singular screen object with associated pop-up displays, ensuring both immediate effectiveness and ease of future integration of additional monitors.
- Archived all historical data from the power monitors into an MSSQL Server database, laying the groundwork for future data analysis and optimization.
- Configured automatic alarm emails in the Ignition Perspective interface, triggered upon any power monitor alarm activation.
- This approach aimed to significantly reduce response times and prevent escalated issues.
Improved Operational Monitoring and Alerting:
- Achieved comprehensive real-time monitoring and alerting on the operational conditions, enhancing overall efficiency and safety.
Scalable and Future-Ready System:
- Successfully created a scalable system, making the integration of additional power monitors straightforward.
Enhanced Data Management and Analysis:
- Established a data management system that is primed for in-depth analysis and future optimization.
Quick and Efficient Response to Alarms:
- The implementation of automatic alarm emails led to faster maintenance responses, potentially averting critical issues and maintaining operational continuity.
This project represents a significant step forward in operational efficiency and reliability within the tobacco industry. It showcases the effective integration of power monitoring and control systems with intelligent design and proactive alarm management. This endeavor not only met the immediate needs of the client but also set the stage for continuous improvement and expansion, exemplifying the principles of Industry 4.0.